- About Us
- Smoking and Health
George D. Behrakis Research Lab
The George D. Behrakis Research Lab is a fully equipped, state-of-the-art lung function laboratory, donated by the Behrakis Foundation, Boston MA to the Hellenic Cancer Society.
The purpose of the LAB is to:
- Function within the framework of the donor’s vision
- Stay up-to-date with scientific and technological advances in the field of lung function
- Promote smoking prevention and cessation, especially among youth
- Develop international collaborations for successful tobacco prevention
- Conduct academic research studies
The scientific research conducted at the laboratory focuses on:
- Study of respiratory mechanics
- Study of the impact of active and passive smoking on the respiratory system
- Design and implementation of smoking prevention and cessation programs specifically aimed at children and adolescents
Equipped with state-of-the-art technology certified by the ISO quality system (BS EN ISO 9001: 2015), the Laboratory offers a variety of routine and sophisticated lung function tests. A dynamic, multidisciplinary and passionate team of experts, respiratory physicians, public health specialists, nurses, biologists, psychologists, and bio-technicians work together in synchronized harmony toward medical, educational and social research excellence.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST STATEMENT
The SMOKEFREEGREECE initiative, established in 2009 for tobacco prevention with an emphasis in the school community, does not in any capacity, hold any obligation or relation to any funders, institutions, persons, or initiatives with similar names and/or scope. Does not have any financial, ideological, social relationship or collaboration with any industry related to the manufacturing, production, distribution or promotion of tobacco and/or other novel tobacco products.
The SMOKEFREEGREECE initiative is fully funded by the Behrakis Foundation Boston MA and is supported by the NGO Hellenic Cancer Society and the Educational Institution, The American College of Greece.