- About Us
- Smoking and Health
“George D. Behrakis” Research Lab
The “George D. Behrakis” Research Lab is a fully equipped, state-of-the-art lung function laboratory, donated by the Behrakis Foundation, Boston MA, to the Hellenic Cancer Society.
The purpose of the laboratory is to:
- Function within the framework of the donor’s vision
- Stay up-to-date with scientific and technological advances in the field of lung function
- Promote smoking prevention and cessation, especially among youth
- Develop international collaborations for successful tobacco prevention
- Conduct academic research studies
The scientific research conducted at the laboratory focuses on:
- Study of respiratory mechanics
- Study of the impact of active and passive smoking on the respiratory system
- Design and implementation of smoking prevention and cessation programs specifically aimed at children and adolescents
Equipped with state-of-the-art technology certified by the ISO quality system (BS EN ISO 9001: 2008), the Laboratory offers a variety of routine and sophisticated lung function tests. A dynamic, multidisciplinary and passionate team of experts, respiratory physicians, public health specialists, nurses, biologists, psychologists, and bio-technicians work together in synchronized harmony toward medical, educational and social research excellence.